top of page

Canoeing and kayaking


A licence is needed to use canoes, kayaks and paddleboards on canals managed by the Canal & River Trust.  Although CRT sell licences their website suggests joining British Canoeing.

The CRT website has plenty of useful advice about canoeing, kayaking and paddle boarding.  Most visitors start at either Melbourne Arm or at Hagg Bridge.  The canal is navigable for larger craft as far as Bielby but canoes etc. can be used further up the canal where there is clear water.  Canoes can pass under the swing-bridges but as with other canals must be carried round locks.

Paddleboards and coracles are also welcome.

bottom of page